Thursday, May 7, 2009

Morel season is upon us......May 6th hike



Today was the first official day of MOREL SEASON!
For me, morel season is more than simply finding tasty fungus in the woods, it is the ultimate symbol of spring, when the deep snow has finally melted, and the temperature and moisture are just right. That’s when the morels start popping up in the most random of places. And unless a person seeks out the areas that had burned the year before, finding morels is difficult, time consuming, and absolutely frustrating. It’s also my favorite outdoor activity (drinking around a campfire with friends being a close second). Early May through early June is the best time of year in Northern Idaho to find these succulent darlings of joy. It’s like Easter egg hunting for adults.
Here’s a pic of the first morel I found this year. As tempting as it is, I never pick the first one I find at the beginning of each season. This one was standing alone. I searched all around the area it was growing in, but found no more, which made it even more difficult to not pick.
The next pic is of what I found after. The antler shed was a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment